My Rainbow is thiiiissss BIG...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 23, 2012

24 weeks now!

I've made it to 24 weeks!  From what I've read, this is another milestone... supposedly 24 weeks is the age of viability, or when the baby is far along enough that it would actually have a chance of surviving if born now.  And the % of survival continues to increase from here on out.  This is very comforting to know, but I'm praying it will be a good 15 more weeks before my baby makes his appearance, when he'll be 100% ready to meet the world.  Only 15 more weeks to go!!  Some more exciting news, I felt his little hiccups for the first time last night, such a cute feeling...evidence his little body is growing and functionally perfectly.  I'm still feeling really good. Me and Jett are growing bigger and stronger each day.  In 3 days I get to see him again at my next Perinatologist appt! YAY!

Here's the most recent belly pic, taken at 23 weeks (last week):



And here's how baby is doing this week:



How your baby's growing:

Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment